Associate Level Training Overview
Practitioner with a Fellow Mentor- RTI Level 3 and SPED
June 8-12, 15 and 16
TRAINING IS FULL
We will be holding 30 minute informational sessions to explain the details and expectation of the training and practicum. It will also be a time to ask any questions that you may have. We will finish this informational session with several interview questions. If you are offered a spot in the class, you will be asked to put the $500 deposit down to hold your spot.
The Orton-Gillingham Center of Charleston offers Accredited Training for the Associate Level Certification by the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE).
Associate level training prepares tutors to teach students one-on-one using OG approach principles under the mentorship of an AOGPE Fellow.
This intensive course satisfies the curriculum guidelines of the AOGPE. Associate membership requires coursework and practicum experience. An extensive amount of theory and practice will be covered. There will be reading, review, material to learn and homework projects nightly.
The coursework provides a variety of exercises that advance the understanding of principles and procedures of the Orton-Gillingham Approach in teaching reading, spelling, and written expression.
· A total of 60 hours of coursework
· 10 hours credited from the on-line Subscriber course (with completed study guide)
· 50 hours of Classroom Work
· 100 hours of 1:1 tutoring over a period of not less than 8 months mentored by the Fellow.
· 10 observations by the Fellow or Fellow In Training
· Practicum will take place at the Orton-Gillingham Center of Charleston or at the discretion of the Fellow.
· Trainees must commit to tutor not less than twice a week on non consecutive days.
· Trainees will be expected to pass the final exam before they are approved to begin practicum.
· It is expected that trainees will apply for credentials through AOGPE
· The application requires a portfolio submission consisting of:
o Your resume
o A profile of your practicum student
o A fully scripted and described 3 lesson sequence from lessons you
delivered to your practicum student, including student work.
o Your Fellow will guide you through the requirements close to the end of the practicum year.
· On-line Subscriber Course - $49.00
· OGCC coursework - $1650 (includes books and materials)
o Deposit $500.00 to secure your spot, balance due on first day of class
· Practicum 10 Observations and mentoring over 8+ month period -$1500 (can be broken up into 2 payments).
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in any area of study
2. 10 hour on-line subscriber course with completed study guide.
The subscriber course is available on the AOGPE website.
The Study Guide will be provided by the instructor. The study guide must be submitted on or before the first day of class.
3. Completion of the AOGPE associate level reading list with written responses.
The associate level reading list is available on the AOGPE website or from the instructor. Written responses must be submitted on or before the first day of class.
For more information on AOGPE Associate Level Certification, please visit ortonacademy.com or contact Catherine Hagberg at Catherine@ogcharleston.com.